From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing outside of portage - segfault testing
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:20:55
1 >> motion keeps segfaulting on me, I've been over it with the motion
2 >> list, and we're down to this:
3 >>
4 >> [quote]
5 >> i've checked with a gentoo user in #motion channel
6 >>
7 >> wget
8 >> http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/motion/motion-3.2.10.1.ta
9 >>r.gz tar xfvz motion-3.2.10.1.tar.gz
10 >> cd motion-3.2.10.1
11 >> ./configure --with-developer-flags
12 >> edit Makefile ( from motion directoty ) remove -O2 de CFLAGS
13 >> make
14 >> ./motion -n -d 10
17 >> No issues , working good ... so problem is in gentoo emerge / ebuild ..
18 >> or hardware problems
19 >> [/quote]
20 >>
21 >> Won't that install files all over my system that I won't be able to
22 >> get rid of later?
23 >
24 > Not unless you issue a "make install", too. All stays in the local
25 > directory where you unpacked the tarball. Works for simpe projects, but
26 > other might need some files be installed in certain places.
27 > Sometimes you can issue al "make uninstall" later to clean things up, but
28 > this is not always the case.
29 >
30 >> What would you guys do in this situation?
31 >
32 > Doing the "make install", but in a specific directory, like /usr/local.
33 > You can set this diretory with the --prefix option to configure. It seems
34 > to be the default often anyway.
35 >
36 > But then you clutter your /usr/local directory. So I suggest using stow,
37 > or better, xstow, to install software. It goes like this:
38 >
39 > cd myproject-1.2.3
40 > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/myproject-1.2.3
41 > make
42 > su
43 > emerge xstow
44 > make install
45 > cd /usr/local/stow
46 > stow myproject-1.2.3
47 >
48 > Now you have symlinks in /usr/local, as if you installed into /usr/local
49 > directly. To uninstall, issue a 'xstow -D myproject-1.2.3' and
50 > remove /usr/local/stow/myproject-1.2.3. All clean and tidy again.
51 >
52 > Wonko
53
54 Thank you very much. 3.2.11 ended up fixing the segfault.
55
56 - Grant