From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing outside of portage - segfault testing
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:38:34
1 Grant writes:
2 > motion keeps segfaulting on me, I've been over it with the motion
3 > list, and we're down to this:
4 >
5 > [quote]
6 > i've checked with a gentoo user in #motion channel
7 >
8 > wget
9 > http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/motion/motion-3.2.10.1.ta
10 >r.gz tar xfvz motion-3.2.10.1.tar.gz
11 > cd motion-3.2.10.1
12 > ./configure --with-developer-flags
13 > edit Makefile ( from motion directoty ) remove -O2 de CFLAGS
14 > make
15 > ./motion -n -d 10
18 > No issues , working good ... so problem is in gentoo emerge / ebuild ..
19 > or hardware problems
20 > [/quote]
21 >
22 > Won't that install files all over my system that I won't be able to
23 > get rid of later?
24
25 Not unless you issue a "make install", too. All stays in the local
26 directory where you unpacked the tarball. Works for simpe projects, but
27 other might need some files be installed in certain places.
28 Sometimes you can issue al "make uninstall" later to clean things up, but
29 this is not always the case.
30
31 > What would you guys do in this situation?
32
33 Doing the "make install", but in a specific directory, like /usr/local.
34 You can set this diretory with the --prefix option to configure. It seems
35 to be the default often anyway.
36
37 But then you clutter your /usr/local directory. So I suggest using stow,
38 or better, xstow, to install software. It goes like this:
39
40 cd myproject-1.2.3
41 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/myproject-1.2.3
42 make
43 su
44 emerge xstow
45 make install
46 cd /usr/local/stow
47 stow myproject-1.2.3
48
49 Now you have symlinks in /usr/local, as if you installed into /usr/local
50 directly. To uninstall, issue a 'xstow -D myproject-1.2.3' and
51 remove /usr/local/stow/myproject-1.2.3. All clean and tidy again.
52
53 Wonko