From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 20:44:31
1 Am 18.04.2013 22:13, schrieb Michael Mol:
2 > On 04/18/2013 04:02 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> Am 18.04.2013 21:48, schrieb Michael Mol:
4 >>> On 04/18/2013 03:32 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> [snip]
7 >>>
8 >>>> So, I grasped the nettle, put in a negative pulseaudio use flag, unmerged
9 >>>> pa and alsa-plugins, then rebuilt the 14 packages which needed it.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Surprisingly, everything still works. I now get those last seconds from
12 >>>> my news streams. :-)
13 >>>>
14 >>>> So, yes, I can recomment the removal of pulseaudio, unless anybody's got
15 >>>> some particular need for it.
16 >>> IME, there is one application that all but forces the use of PulseAudio:
17 >>> Flash. Once Flash grabs onto an ALSA device, it doesn't let go, so you
18 >>> *must* route it through PA if you would like to reliably use it with
19 >>> anything else.
20 >>>
21 >>> My particular discovery was that if I launched WoW under WINE, and then
22 >>> launched a browser, audio in WoW worked fine. If I launched the browser
23 >>> first (which resulted in a flash applet being loaded in GMail for the
24 >>> purpose of audio notifications for google talk), Flash grabbed the ALSA
25 >>> device and no WINE application could get at it. Routing both through
26 >>> PulseAudio solved the problem.
27 >> /I can have as many flash instances as I want and still listen to stuff
28 >> being played in vlc. Without pulseaudio crap.
29 >>
30 >> Maybe wine just sucks?/
31 >>
32 > Easy on the invective. Did you pay attention to the specific sequence of
33 > events I described? Or are you simply reporting that Flash works fine as
34 > an ALSA client along other concurrently reporting tasks, with no
35 > reference to the explicit order of the launch of things?
36 >
37 > Incidentally, WoW+WINE worked absolutely fine with other ALSA clients.
38 > It was only when Flash got added to the mix--and was launched
39 > first--that I had a problem. Further, if Flash was launched before PA
40 > (and ALSA apps weren't configured to route through PA's alsa wrapper),
41 > PA itself could not latch on to the sound card.
42 >
43 > Also, it's possible Adobe has since fixed the bug. This was a couple
44 > years ago, even before they added direct PulseAudio support to flash.
45
46 the order is completely irrelavant. I start flash, xine, amarok, vlc,
47 alsaplayer, whatever - and it just works. Without pulseaudio, jackd,
48 esd, artsd etc pp.
49
50 I don't use wine. For a lot of good reasons.