From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT?] Advice on hardware
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:23:33
1 On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:06:52 -0300
2 Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > Any advice?
7
8 Yes - Get a 939 pin processor. 754 pin socket is going away.
9
10 Also, it's not just the motherboard. If you are a gamer - start with the
11 Gfx card. If you are going for one of the high end cards, be aware they
12 suck down 75+ watts - more than the cpu will. A specifically designed power
13 supply for these cards is called for, otherwise you;ll be back here asking about
14 random compile failures, graphics lockups, corrupt file systems, etc.
15
16 To support the gfx card and the system, you'll need a power supply that
17 has a decent continous power rating, such as a PC Power&Cooling Silencer 470ATX.
18
19 If you want an SLI config, then the PC Power&Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 Express/SLI
20 is called for.
21
22 > PS: Nvidia would be my choice for video, anyone have suggestions?
23
24 Unless you have a specific need for high end, a 6600 GT works well with a smaller
25 power draw - 350 W power supply. Here is a partial output of the Shuttle SN95G5
26 that I'm running with an xfx 6600GT -
27
28 Operating System Information
29 Linux 2.6.12-gentoo-r4 #1 Mon Jul 11 19:02:55 PDT 2005 on x86_64
30
31 Memory Information
32 Total RAM 1025124 kB
33 Total Swap 1999864 kB
34
35 CPU Information
36 CPU 01 AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
37
38 Bob
39 --
40 -