From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [ANNOUNCE] I like systemd now :)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 19:58:24
1 On 2012-11-10 03:03, walt wrote:
2
3 > :) systemd is coming whether you or I like it or not so I'm trying to
4 > stay a bit ahead of the tsunami, that's all.
5
6 Yes, systemd may be coming and may even become mandatory for the Linux
7 kernel (given it's marriage with udev). when that comes, I'd rather go
8 *BSD or even Windows for that matter. The current plan is going mdev,
9 following Walter Dnes fine example, when I can find the time (perhaps
10 during xmas).
11
12 > The emotions started running high when Lennart pushed pulseaudio on us
13 > awhile ago, and he's doing it again now with systemd. I didn't see the
14 > purpose for pulse until I (finally) bought a new computer with audio
15 > hardware I'd never seen before, and then I finally understood why he
16 > invented this silly pulse nonsense.
17
18 I don't use pulseaudio and never will. Alsa is working fine, using
19 hardware mixer. I really don't understand why you would want to use a
20 second layer on top of the hardware driver, I thought we gave that up
21 years ago, abandoning the ESD and aRts.
22
23 > I still don't quite understand the entire motivation behind systemd but
24 > I'll bet it will become obvious to me in the future.
25
26 I'm sure...
27
28 > A speedy reboot is very nice for those of use who compile and test a new
29 > kernel from Linus every morning and file kernel bug reports when
30 > appropriate. If I do find a kernel bug I may need to recompile/reboot
31 > many times as quickly as my machine can do it, so saving 15-20 seconds
32 > per reboot cycle just feels less painful :)
33
34 Ok. For me, when booting, the most time spent is in the bios cycle.
35 Booting from grub takes maybe 5-10 seconds...
36
37 > I didn't intend to preach, I intended to brag that I got it working :p
38
39 Ok, I just read it as "preaching" but I guess you can see it that way
40 too. I was just a bit tired I guess, sorry!
41
42 Best regards
43
44 Peter K