From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [ANNOUNCE] I like systemd now :)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 02:04:43
1 On 11/09/2012 03:13 PM, pk wrote:
2 > On 2012-11-09 23:53, walt wrote:
3 >
4 >> You Lennart haters out there (and I was one of you not so long ago ;)
5 >> now I think he's not so bad after all. He just doesn't know yet how to
6 >> explain things properly to old farts.
7 >
8 > Good for you. I really don't see the point in preaching systemd's
9 > greatness (or Lennart's). I'm not going to try it anyway.
10
11 :) systemd is coming whether you or I like it or not so I'm trying to stay a bit ahead of the tsunami, that's all.
12
13 The emotions started running high when Lennart pushed pulseaudio on us awhile ago, and he's doing it again now with systemd. I didn't see the purpose for pulse until I (finally) bought a new computer with audio hardware I'd never seen before, and then I finally understood why he invented this silly pulse nonsense.
14
15 I still don't quite understand the entire motivation behind systemd but I'll bet it will become obvious to me in the future.
16
17 > Also, I really don't see a point in booting fast
18
19 A speedy reboot is very nice for those of use who compile and test a new kernel from Linus every morning and file kernel bug reports when appropriate. If I do find a kernel bug I may need to recompile/reboot many times as quickly as my machine can do it, so saving 15-20 seconds per reboot cycle just feels less painful :)
20
21 > (and I don't see anything wrong with
22 > openrc). So why do you feel the need to preach? Just curious...
23
24 I didn't intend to preach, I intended to brag that I got it working :p