From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to do port-based routing?
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 20:12:14
1 On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2008-03-03, Jason Carson <jay@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > >> I'm trying to figure out how to do port-based routing. I found
4 > >> a HOWTO that does pretty much exactly what I'm trying to do:
5 > >>
6 > >> http://www.linuxhorizon.ro/iproute2.html
7 > >>
8 > >> However, it's using iptables, which I thought was deprecated,
9 > >> but there are iptables versions as recent at three months ago,
10 > >> so it still seems to be maintained. The above page has
11 > >> references to the "Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control"
12 > >> site at www.lartc.org, but that site appears to be long-gone.
13 > >>
14 > >> What's the recommended interface for doing advanced routing
15 > >> stuff?
16 > >
17 > > There are many interfaces but they are all frontends to
18 > > iptables. Personally I just did a lot of reading and built my
19 > > firewall from scratch.
20 >
21 > I found shorewall and firestarter, but neither looked very
22 > useful to me:
23 >
24 > 1) They're both designed for configuring firewalls, and I'm
25 > not building a firewall machine.
26 >
27 > 2) Neither seemed to have any way to specify port-based routing.
28 >
29 > So it looks like plain iptables is the way to go.
30 >
31 > --
32 > Grant Edwards grante Yow! I want another
33 > at RE-WRITE on my CEASAR
34 > visi.com SALAD!!
35 >
36 > --
39 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
43 I hate to plug a non-gentoo distro, but if you're building yourself a
44 linux firewall and you want to do so without rtfm'ing, smoothwall is
45 the way to go.
48 Dan Cowsill
49 http://www.danthehat.net
50 --