From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to do port-based routing?
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 19:36:52
1 On 2008-03-03, Jason Carson <jay@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >> I'm trying to figure out how to do port-based routing. I found
3 >> a HOWTO that does pretty much exactly what I'm trying to do:
4 >>
5 >> http://www.linuxhorizon.ro/iproute2.html
6 >>
7 >> However, it's using iptables, which I thought was deprecated,
8 >> but there are iptables versions as recent at three months ago,
9 >> so it still seems to be maintained. The above page has
10 >> references to the "Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control"
11 >> site at www.lartc.org, but that site appears to be long-gone.
12 >>
13 >> What's the recommended interface for doing advanced routing
14 >> stuff?
15 >
16 > There are many interfaces but they are all frontends to
17 > iptables. Personally I just did a lot of reading and built my
18 > firewall from scratch.
19
20 I found shorewall and firestarter, but neither looked very
21 useful to me:
22
23 1) They're both designed for configuring firewalls, and I'm
24 not building a firewall machine.
25
26 2) Neither seemed to have any way to specify port-based routing.
27
28 So it looks like plain iptables is the way to go.
31 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I want another
32 at RE-WRITE on my CEASAR
33 visi.com SALAD!!
36 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list