From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to do port-based routing?
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 20:19:03
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I found shorewall and firestarter, but neither looked very
3 > useful to me:
4 >
5 > 1) They're both designed for configuring firewalls, and I'm
6 > not building a firewall machine.
7 >
8 > 2) Neither seemed to have any way to specify port-based routing.
9 >
10 > So it looks like plain iptables is the way to go.
13 I'm not aware of any iptables front end that will also manager policy
14 based routing which is Cisco-ese and maybe general Network-ese for what
15 you're trying to do. However I would use shorewall (or whatever you
16 prefer) to do most of the work and then insert your custom rules where
17 they need to go.
18 All policy routing regardless of actual implementation has you build an
19 ACL of traffic you'd like messed with. Then you need to specify what
20 happens to traffic that matches the ACL. However one thing the original
21 how-to you linked left didn't completely spell out is NAT. You MUST NAT
22 on each interface or you'll have all sorts of routing fun that does not
23 work.
24
25 kashani
26 --