From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Knoppix Install Method
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:25:42
1 On 12/10/2005 1:50 PM Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 >On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:08:50 -0500, drew@××××××××××××××.net wrote:
8 >>However there is some data on the drive that I'd like to recover before
9 >>blowing the disk away. I booted the latest Knoppix dated 9/23/05 and
10 >>see two icons on the desktop for my drives. One for sda the other for
11 >>sdb. I can not mount either. I assume this is because Knoppix is
12 >>seeing each drive individually instead of the one logical striped drive
13 >>it is.
17 >There used to be problems accessing RAID arrays from Knoppix, and LVM
18 >still doesn't work AFAIK. The solution is to use a different live CD. As
19 >you plan to install Gentoo, it seems reasonable to assume you have a
20 >Gentoo CD, so try that. The Recovery Is Possible! live CD also worked
21 >with my RAID setup.
25 Thanks for the encouragement. I attempted a Windows overlay install
26 again and this time it seems to have worked! However I'll keep the live
27 CD in mind for future emergencies. I started with Knoppix because a
28 previous Gentoo installation I did wouldn't work with the live CD. I
29 had an Advansys SCSI card in that box which wasn't supported on the live
30 CD but was supported with Knoppix.
31
32 Thanks,
33
34 Drew
37 Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse
38 Magic Tricks, DVDs, Videos, Books, & More!
39
40 http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list