From: Victor Ivanov <vic.m.ivanov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update Gentoo recently is becoming difficult
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 13:53:15
1 Python has indeed been a bit of a mess recently for me as well, but I
2 haven't had any major issues. Presumably, this could be attributed to
3 the fact that since python migrations started I have been using the
4 --changed-deps flag to emerge, which I noticed did help to clean a few
5 things up during world upgrades.
6
7 I suspect the whole situation is due to maintainers trying to quickly
8 get up to speed Python 3.7 and dropping of Python 2.7 where possible as
9 Rich mentioned earlier. So I didn't really pay much attention to it
10 except for the one or two packages that broke.
11
12 On my (stable) systems I find myself having 4 versions of python
13 present: 2.7, 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8. However, since the latest bulk move to
14 3.7 there appears to only be a single package unnecessarily pulling in
15 both 3.6 and 3.8, and that's "dev-lang/python-exec". It does seem
16 rather unnecessary.
17
18 I do, however, have a rather large number of packages that are built
19 with both +python_targets_python3_7 _and_ +python_targets_python2_7. I
20 suspect the latter dependency will be cleared out soon.
21
22 I haven't had issues with boost though, with 1.72.0-r1 being the only
23 one installed. Perhaps "--changed-deps" might be worth trying if you
24 haven't?
25
26 - V
27