From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IPv6 not ready here; Hmmm
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 15:08:35
1 On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> On my wife's Windows 7 laptop, it just worked perfectly after I
3 >> enabled it on my router and her wifi reconnected. All tests on
4 >> test-ipv6.com pass except for the last DNS test. She can go to sites
5 >> like http://www.v6.facebook.com no problems.
6 >
7 > That's because Windows7 use toredo servers/relays to resolve and connect to
8 > ipv6 addresses.
9
10 I disagree. :) It gets an IPv6 address from my ISP and no traffic
11 flows through Microsoft's relay servers. It works the same as my
12 gentoo boxes and my cell phone. The only tunnel is the one between my
13 router and my ISP's 6RD server. Everything on my side of the network
14 just uses native regular IPv6 as far as the clients are concerned.
15
16 AFAIK, Win vista/7 only uses teredo when no actual IPv6 internet
17 connectivity exists. And when it's not part of a corporate domain. And
18 when the host you're connecting to does not have an IPv4 address.
19 Again, that's AFAIK. :)