From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IPv6 not ready here; Hmmm
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 05:47:48
1 On Thursday 09 Jun 2011 02:25:43 Paul Hartman wrote:
2
3 > My wireless router is running DD-WRT (which is a Linux distro). It is
4 > running kernel 2.6.34 and has all the ipv6 modules enabled in the
5 > kernel. Basically, it is setup by loading the "sit" module
6 > (CONFIG_IPV6_SIT_6RD in kernel config). Then using the "ip" command to
7 > create a sit tunnel and set up the routes for IPv6 traffic, and then
8 > starts radvd (the IPv6 router advertisement daemon, think of it as a
9 > kind of DHCP server for IPv6 addresses). The process should be exactly
10 > the same on OpenWRT.
11
12 Oh I see, that explains it!
15 > > What does your /etc/resolv.conf show?
16 >
17 > $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
18 > nameserver 127.0.0.1
19 >
20 > (because I run net-dns/unbound on my local machine). For the other
21 > computers/devices they use the DNS server which runs on the router,
22 > 192.168.0.1
23 >
24 > My ISP does offer DNS servers at actual IPv6 addresses, though I'm not
25 > using them.
26
27 So when a ipv6 query arrives at your local resolver (router) from one of your
28 LAN machines on the 192.168.0.1 address, the router knows to send it down the
29 tunnel to be resolved at the ISP's resolvers?
32 > For Microsoft Windows (at least Windows 7), when it detects IPv6
33 > advertisement server on the local network, it will use it
34 > automatically. When no IPv6 is detected, it uses Teredo instead. Maybe
35 > your DNS servers don't return IPv6 addresses?
36
37 Well, yes my router is ipv4 only and therefore it would not resolve ipv6
38 addresses.
41 > On my wife's Windows 7 laptop, it just worked perfectly after I
42 > enabled it on my router and her wifi reconnected. All tests on
43 > test-ipv6.com pass except for the last DNS test. She can go to sites
44 > like http://www.v6.facebook.com no problems.
45
46 That's because Windows7 use toredo servers/relays to resolve and connect to
47 ipv6 addresses.
50 > BTW, Windows Vista and 7 generate randomized host IDs for public IPv6
51 > addresses, it's generally advised to disable that. You can do that by
52 > running this at administrator cmd prompt:
53 > netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
54
55 I was looking at the same in the Linux kernel scratching my head if I should
56 enable this or not ...
57
58 What does it do - not sure I understand what such temporary addresses are used
59 for:
60 ============================================
61 IPv6: Privacy Extensions (RFC 3041) support
62
63 CONFIG_IPV6_PRIVACY:
64
65 Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6 support.
66 With this option, additional periodically-altered pseudo-random global-scope
67 unicast address(es) will be assigned to your interface(s).
68
69 We use our standard pseudo-random algorithm to generate the randomized
70 interface identifier, instead of one described in RFC 3041.
71
72 By default the kernel does not generate temporary addresses. To use temporary
73 addresses, do
74
75 echo 2 >/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/use_tempaddr
76
77 See <file:Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt> for details.
78
79 Symbol: IPV6_PRIVACY [=n]
80 Type : boolean
81 Prompt: IPv6: Privacy Extensions (RFC 3041) support
82 Defined at net/ipv6/Kconfig:24
83 Depends on: NET [=y] && INET [=y] && IPV6 [=y]
84 Location:
85 -> Networking support (NET [=y])
86 -> Networking options
87 -> TCP/IP networking (INET [=y])