From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simple SMTP queue for a laptop
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:42:56
1 On Oct 25, 2005, at 4:51 PM, Tom Eastman wrote:
2
3 > Hey guys,
4 >
5 > I know there must be a bunch of these out there, but there's always
6 > a problem with signal-to-noise for this kind of question.
7 >
8 > I have a laptop, from which I would like to be able to send mail
9 > whenever I feel like it. This laptop is only occasionally
10 > connected to the internet, and has very low resources (so memory
11 > resident daemons are less favourable).
12 >
13 > So what I'm looking for is a program that acts like 'sendmail' (so
14 > that I can send email from mutt), and when it gets mail to send it
15 > stores it in a queue.
16 >
17 > When I'm connected to a network, I can then manually dump the queue
18 > onto the smtp server *of my choice*, since the server would very
19 > depending on where I'm plugged into.
20 >
21 > Some kind of command like:
22 >
23 > $ sudo dump_all_mail_to smtp.wherever.i.am.net
24 >
25 > Does such a program exist? Really I'm just looking for something
26 > like ssmtp, but with a queue.
27 >
28 most mtas (postfix, sendmail, and exim for sure) have multiple ways
29 of being called. One of which is a "send your queue and die" mode.
30 pick an mta and read the docs.
31 > Any ideas?
32 >
33 > Thanks!