From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simple SMTP queue for a laptop
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:30:47
1 On Oct 26, 2005, at 12:27 pm, John Jolet wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> So what I'm looking for is a program that acts like 'sendmail' (so
4 >> that I can send email from mutt), and when it gets mail to send it
5 >> stores it in a queue....
6 >>
7 >> Some kind of command like:
8 >>
9 >> $ sudo dump_all_mail_to smtp.wherever.i.am.net
10 >>
11 >> Does such a program exist? Really I'm just looking for something
12 >> like ssmtp, but with a queue.
13 >
14 > most mtas (postfix, sendmail, and exim for sure) have multiple ways of
15 > being called. One of which is a "send your queue and die" mode. pick
16 > an mta and read the docs.
17
18 Postfix would be _ideal_ except that "relayhost" is static. I don't
19 believe there is any way to define "relayhost" to change according to
20 your current ISP.
21
22 So if he runs `postfix flush`:
23 - and he has no "relayhost" defined then some ISPs will reject his mail
24 because it comes from dial-129.crummy.isp.net (AOL like to do this)
25 - and he has his home ISP's SMTP server listed then it will likely fail
26 when sending mail from his office.
27
28 Apple's email program handles this pretty well, accepting a list of
29 SMTP servers that it'll try in turn, but I don't know about any of the
30 Linux email programs. I would have thought that the ideal solution for
31 the original poster would be to find an SMTP server that he can access
32 from anywhere, probably using authenticated SMTP. If he wants a queue
33 for when his laptop is offline then he uses Postfix locally & sets the
34 authenticating SMTP server as "relayhost" - all messages will be
35 delivered that way when he runs `postfix flush`.
36
37 I believe that Yahoo! & GMail offer outgoing authenticated SMTP
38 services, and if you have a Yahoo.co.uk address this is free.
39 Alternatively he could set up Postfix on his home server & relay
40 through that.
41
42 The final solution (that i can think of) would be to write a
43 dump_all_mail_to script that takes $1 and edits it into the "relayhost"
44 line of /etc/postfix/main.cf but I'm inclined to think that the other
45 solutions are "better" because they're more "standardised".
46
47 Stroller.
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list