From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: default stage3 (was : [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:25:16
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin schreef:
2 > On Monday 21 November 2005 13:33, Steve B wrote:
3 >
4 >> WTF.. I'm getting ready to rebuild my gentoo box. I have always did
5 >> a stage 1 install. i was under the impression that if u used a
6 >> stage 3 u couldn't muck with your CFLAGS or what not. If I'm forced
7 >> to use canned binaries I might as well go with FC or Debian.. I've
8 >> never listened to the "Gentoo is dead" comments.. but now who
9 >> knows.. this is just crazy.. who came up with this stupid idea?
10 >> from the sounds of it certianly not the Gentoo Community!
14 > well, it was made, because the idiots are too dumb to read and follow
15 > the stage1 instructions.
16 >
17 > And gentoo needs more idiots, right?
18 >
19 > Up until now, the installation was a nice filter - but that has
20 > weakend now, too.
21
22 I don't actually agree... the impression I'm getting is that Gentoo has
23 now matured/evolved into a state where filters are no longer necessary
24 (or as necessary as previously).
25
26 Before now, the Gentoo install was rather fragmented, because all the
27 tools necessary to install Gentoo did not all work, or did not all work
28 as well as they needed to, or did not all work as well as they needed to
29 in combination with each other. In practical market terms, you wouldn't
30 want just everybody installing it-- in order to ensure a good and
31 successful experience for the largest number of people, you would not
32 want to encourage those who were untrained or refused training, since
33 the state of the backend required training for successful use. Those who
34 were turned off by the amount or complexity of the documentation (and/or
35 the length of time the install entailed) would tend naturally to fall away.
36
37 But once Gentoo is actually installed, it's just as easy to use as
38 anything else. Maybe you have to learn "emerge -whatever" instead of
39 "apt-get whatever", but one is not particularly "harder" than the other.
40 It was always the install that was hard, not the usage.
41
42 The evolution/maturation of Gentoo and its associated tools means that
43 in order to install Gentoo you no longer have to carefully pick your way
44 across a minefield (stage 1), but can with confidence stride across a
45 beautiful grassy plain (stage 3). If you then want to turn around and
46 "customize" that field-- plant some flowers, for example-- you can do
47 that (emerge -e world), or you don't have to. But the point is that if
48 you want to interrupt your journey to whatever was on the other side of
49 that field (use your PC for whatever you planned to do with the system,
50 instead of suffering to install the system in the first place) you now
51 have a choice about whether to do that or not. You are not essentially
52 forced to do so by the fact that the minefield was not clear and passage
53 to the other side was not easy or safe and required a great deal of
54 attention.
55
56 Unbelievable that people are complaining about an improvement in
57 ease-of-use (or in this case, installation). I'd also wonder why Steve
58 B. is installing (again) anyway; one of Gentoo's hallmarks is that you
59 basically install it once and you (almost) never have to do it again.
60
61 That is of course Steve's business..... although if he's going to
62 reinstall, again I must wonder why he would complain that such a
63 reinstall is now likely to be much easier, and lead to a functioning
64 system (from which he can emerge -e world to his heart's content) much
65 faster.
66
67 But maybe I just have a strange point of view.
68
69 Holly
74 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list