From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: disable syanptics pad
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 13:29:57
1 James Ausmus <james.ausmus <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Sounds like, since you don't have a synaptics driver installed, the synaptics
5 device is being handled like a regular mouse via the evdev driver, and the evdev
6 driver doesn't properly handle the data coming from the touchpad, hence the
7 erratic pointer movement.For disabling, I'm not sure, as I don't have access to
8 a system w/ synaptics on it (until I get home, but that's about 8 hours away
9 yet...), but, after emerging the xf86-input-synaptics driver, and looking at the
10 man page (man synaptics), I see theOption "TouchpadOff" "integer"option - if you
11 set this to "1", then the touchpad is disabled, so I would add in a section for
12 the device in your xorg.conf file, something like:
15 Section "InputDevice"
16 Identifier "touchpad"
17 Driver "synaptics"
18 Option "Device" "/dev/input/<whatever-it-is - you can find out by doing "cat
19 /proc/bus/input/devices" and looking at the "Handlers" line>"
20 Option "TouchpadOff" "1"
21 EndSectionHTH--James
24 Sorry for the delay, I only get access to this
25 laptop, on a sporadic basis. This did not work for me.
28 thanks,
29
30 James