From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: disable syanptics pad
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 18:22:41
1 On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 8:06 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Saphirus Sage <saphirus497 <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 > > > Any ideas how to disable the synaptics pad?
7 >
8 > > I'm not entirely sure that's a proper way to disable the synaptics pad,
9 > > as you don't seem to have removed xorg's ability to load the driver. I'd
10 > > suggest just #'ing out the whole InputDevice section relating to the
11 > > synaptics pad, and running emerge -C synaptics or emerge -C
12 > > xf86-input-synaptics, depending on which driver you're using. That
13 > > should completely remove your ability to use the synaptic touch pad.
14 >
15 > Hmmmm,
18 > Nothing with the word "synaptics" (or either of the packages you
19 > mentioned)
20 > is installed.
23 > I do have a left over, bloated xorg file, so I'll first just delete
24 > the line with the (#) symbol, but, I thought that was the way to
25 > deactivate entries. Looking in xorg.conf.examples did not reveal
26 > any sort of useful infor
29 > Maybe somebody could post a minimal xorg.conf, or a url to some examples?
30 >
31 > One additional bit of information. The synaptics pad, when touched, makes
32 > the mouse(cursor) go crazy in a radom-noise-movement sort of pattern.
33 > When I stop touching the synaptics pad and use the external usb mouse,
34 > cursor movement becomes normal as expected.
37 > ideas?
40 Sounds like, since you don't have a synaptics driver installed, the
41 synaptics device is being handled like a regular mouse via the evdev driver,
42 and the evdev driver doesn't properly handle the data coming from the
43 touchpad, hence the erratic pointer movement.
44
45 For disabling, I'm not sure, as I don't have access to a system w/ synaptics
46 on it (until I get home, but that's about 8 hours away yet...), but, after
47 emerging the xf86-input-synaptics driver, and looking at the man page (man
48 synaptics), I see the
49
50 Option "TouchpadOff" "integer"
51
52 option - if you set this to "1", then the touchpad is disabled, so I would
53 add in a section for the device in your xorg.conf file, something like:
54
55 Section "InputDevice"
56 Identifier "touchpad"
57 Driver "synaptics"
58 Option "Device" "/dev/input/<whatever-it-is - you can find out by
59 doing "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" and looking at the "Handlers" line>"
60 Option "TouchpadOff" "1"
61 EndSection
62
63 HTH-