From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: decrapify your kernel config WAS: ps shows pegasus process running - what is it?
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 23:41:39
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
5 >> Any time I spend messing with obscure kernel config options is time I
6 >> could be spending reading a good book, instead [1].
7 >> Sorry, spending time configuring my kernel loses, as does this thread.
10 > I'm with you Stroller.
11 >
12 > Although I do have to admit and should admit since I'm OP on this
13 > thread. If I had of inserted the .config from running kernel. I
14 > would have been done on the first try.. The dozen or so questions were
15 > nearly all no answers. A few didn't default the way I wanted so I didn't
16 > accept the default... maybe two were like that.
17 >
18 > I fully agree with your point about what it really takes to `know' how
19 > to configure a kernel. People get a little too much mileage from the
20 > breezy ` I do it in 5 minutes' line. When all they really did was
21 > move the .config file.
25 Maybe 20 minutes if you don't just move the .config tho. It's not that
26 hard to do. Heck, the hardest part to me is finding out what chips is
27 on cards and stuff. I usually do that before I but tho. I like the
28 zoom feature on newegg for that reason. You can read what chips are on
29 drive controllers and such. Then you know what drivers to use and
30 whether it will work or not.
31
32 I could probably config mine now in less than ten minutes since I know
33 my hardware.
34
35 Dale
36