From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 23:05:39
1 On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Friday 31 October 2014 15:09:26 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I've got a few systems where grub1 doesn't work. This is more likely caused
5 >> by some changes in used filesystems instead of any other cause.
6 >> If I really wanted to, I might get it to work, but I don't see the point in
7 >> spending time on this.
8 >> Grub starts the boot process and then, afaik, disappears.
9 >> Which is sufficient for me.
10 >
11 > My grub-0.99 lets me choose from four kernels and two or three run levels at
12 > boot time, and grub-2 can't handle this yet, or it couldn't the last time I
13 > checked. I don't suggest that everyone has a similar need, but at least in
14 > some cases the old grub does still have a place.
15
16 You can edit "/etc/grub.d/10_linux" to add more than the regular and
17 the recovery entries.
18
19 You can also "chmod -x" the files in "/etc/grub.d/*" and create manual
20 entries in 40_custom (and keep it executable!).