From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Soft scrolling on framebuffer consoles - New version of the patch.
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 10:53:18
1 Hello, Peter.
2
3 On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 03:44:49 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > On Monday, 12 December 2022 18:23:28 GMT Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > Here is the latest version of my soft scrolling patch for the gentoo
7 > > kernel version 5.15.80. It will surely work on any reasonably recent
8 > > kernel version, and also on future versions. The new version doesn't
9 > > add any new functionality, it just patches the kernel giving rise to
10 > > fewer messages from the patch utility.
11
12 > You've done it again! What a fine effort. It's saved me much wailing and
13 > gnashing of teeth.
14
15 Thanks for that!
16
17 > Is there any chance of enabling gpm to work with it? That would save
18 > yet more generations of tooth enamel. :)
19
20 Yes, that's been annoying me for some time, too - when the screen is
21 scrolled, and one tries to mark a portion of text with GPM, it gets the
22 text that was on the screen before the scroll, and corrupts the display
23 of the text.
24
25 I had a look at it last night, and the problem is that the kernel
26 doesn't currently store the 32-bit unicode characters which have been
27 scrolled off the screen - just the 8-bit character glyph codes together
28 with the 8-bit colour information. So it would triple the amount of
29 information stored for each character position. That surely shouldn't
30 be a problem on today's machines, though - even with
31 FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_SOFT_SCROLLBACK_SIZE set to 512 kB, that would only
32 be 1.5 MB per console.
33
34 So yes, this should be doable. It's definitely more than a day's work,
35 almost certainly less than a month's. I'll see what I can manage.
36
37 > Seriously, though, it's just wonderful as it is, and we all owe you a debt.
38
39 Thanks again!
40
41 > --