From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SCSI/libata based PATA support
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 00:04:36
1 On Sunday 12 November 2006 00:44, Sven Köhler wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > do you know, what's going on at present in kernel development? We had
5 > libata based SATA drivers for a few kernel-versions now.
6 > Since 2.6.19, we seem to be offered libata based PATA drivers too!
7 >
8 > Why are they doing it? Does this make any sense to you? The new drivers
9 > don't replace the old ones, at present time. But are they planned to? Or
10 > do they just exist "for the fun of it" ?
11
12 yes, they will replace the old drivers at some point in the future.
13
14 And they don't exist just for the fun of it. ide is in a horrible state for
15 many, many years. And every attempt to 'fix' it, went very wrong. libpata is
16 the latest attempt to clean up the mess. What do we get? Hopefully better
17 drivers, better error handling, better powermanagment support.
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list