From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel High Definition on-board sound controller - optical out working?
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:03:48
1 On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I have an optical out on my on-board Intel Hi Def audio controller
5 >> (also an Intel motherboard) and wanted to route the optical output to
6 >> my receiver, so I could play internet radio on my home audio system.
7 >> I got everything plugged in, but the receiver didn't pick up any
8 >> signal (I made sure all the right settings are selected on the
9 >> receiver).
10 >>
11 >> So my question... Is optical output supported in ALSA and the driver
12 >> for Intel High Definition audio controller? Do I have to compile with
13 >> any specific flags to get it working?
14 >
15 > Check the file /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt
16 > and maybe you need to specify which model of HD-Audio chip your're
17 > using to enable the extra ports. I've never had much success with
18 > "auto" actually autodetecting the proper set-up.
19
20 Also, the digital output may show up as a different playback device in
21 ALSA, so you may need to specify this in whatever program you're
22 using. For example:
23
24 $ aplay -l
25 **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
26 card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
27 Subdevices: 1/1
28 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
29 card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC889 Digital [ALC889 Digital]
30 Subdevices: 1/1
31 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0