From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Very old machine blocking/update questions
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:30:34
1 On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:32 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:11:41 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > Yeah, it's pretty insane. We were using these machines only as MythTV
5 > > frontend boxes so basically they boot, start mythfrontend, spin down
6 > > the drive and then talk to the backend over the network. They didn't
7 > > need much space so I probably bought the smallest thing I could find 4
8 > > years ago when I first built them.
9 >
10 > I've given up on hard drives for MythTV frontends, too much noise, heat,
11 > power and space. I tried flash storage for a while but now network boot.
14 > --
15 > Neil Bothwick
16
17 On these Pundit-R machines I tried to get network booting working but
18 never did. Actually that whole idea still eludes me. I did spin the
19 drives down to reduce noise as these old 8GB drives are actually
20 *very* noisy and it's a really ugly high-pitched whine. The worst part
21 of noise from these little boxes now turns out to be the processor fan
22 and since it's a non-standard form factor I haven't found a quiet fan
23 to do a replacement.
24
25 - Mark
26 --