From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Its ground hog day... how to escape the syndrome?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 12:07:38
1 On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 09:44:20 +0200 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 02/03/2017 06:33, Harry Putnam wrote:
3 > > Setup: VBox vm running gentoo(amd64) guest on a win-10 (64bit) host
4 > > Hardware: HP xw8600 - 2x Xeon CPU X5450 @ 3.00GHz - 32 GB ram
5 > >
6 > > I've seen a few other mentions of the phenomena I'm about to describe.
7 > > It is not clear to me why something like this would happen. Or what is
8 > > to be done to prevent it.
9 > >
10 > > After going thru install and bulding of X based lxde desktop gentoo
11 > > OS, I'm at the stage where I would do another emerge world followed by
12 > > --depclean or something similar.
13 > >
14 > > Decided to take the @world in the two available bites; @system then
15 > > @world
16 > >
17 > > My cmdline was `emerge -vaDt @system'
18 >
19 > Add -u to the options, it activates update behaviour
20 >
21 > Without it, emerge takes you literally at your word and emerges
22 > everything in the system set.
23
24 Also add -N, otherwise USE flags changes will be ignored if no
25 update or rebuild, and add --with-bdeps y if you don't want to
26 miss updates for packages pulled an build-only deps, so use
27 `-DNuavt --with-bdeps y'. "vt" here is optional and affects only
28 on-screen output.
31 Best regards,
32 Andrew Savchenko