From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Its ground hog day... how to escape the syndrome?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 07:47:34
1 On 02/03/2017 06:33, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Setup: VBox vm running gentoo(amd64) guest on a win-10 (64bit) host
3 > Hardware: HP xw8600 - 2x Xeon CPU X5450 @ 3.00GHz - 32 GB ram
4 >
5 > I've seen a few other mentions of the phenomena I'm about to describe.
6 > It is not clear to me why something like this would happen. Or what is
7 > to be done to prevent it.
8 >
9 > After going thru install and bulding of X based lxde desktop gentoo
10 > OS, I'm at the stage where I would do another emerge world followed by
11 > --depclean or something similar.
12 >
13 > Decided to take the @world in the two available bites; @system then
14 > @world
15 >
16 > My cmdline was `emerge -vaDt @system'
17
18 Add -u to the options, it activates update behaviour
19
20 Without it, emerge takes you literally at your word and emerges
21 everything in the system set.
24 > Showed 44 pkgs only 2 were updates and 42 were reinstalls.
25 >
26 > Already it seemed like something might be off to have that many
27 > reinstalls with no --newuse or --changed-use involved.
28 >
29 > I let it run thinking it might have to do with a small list of
30 > packages causing reinstalls.
31 >
32 > Once that finished I ran `emerge -vaDt @world'
33 >
34 > It showed 76 packages 2 updates 1 N in new slot and 73 reinstalls.
35 >
36 > Further, very many of the reinstalls were packages that had just been
37 > reinstalled during @system Same versions, same use flags.
38 >
39 > At a glance I could see that nearly all or all of the packages rebuilt
40 > during During the @system run were to be done over again under a @world
41 > run,
42
43 @world includes @system
46 > Surely there can be no reason for this absent some other factor like
47 > new or changed use flags.
48 >
49 > So what causes this Groundhog day syndrome and how does one break out
50 > of it?
51
52 emerge -avuND <things>
56 Alan McKinnon