From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Its ground hog day... how to escape the syndrome?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 04:34:23
1 Setup: VBox vm running gentoo(amd64) guest on a win-10 (64bit) host
2 Hardware: HP xw8600 - 2x Xeon CPU X5450 @ 3.00GHz - 32 GB ram
3
4 I've seen a few other mentions of the phenomena I'm about to describe.
5 It is not clear to me why something like this would happen. Or what is
6 to be done to prevent it.
7
8 After going thru install and bulding of X based lxde desktop gentoo
9 OS, I'm at the stage where I would do another emerge world followed by
10 --depclean or something similar.
11
12 Decided to take the @world in the two available bites; @system then
13 @world
14
15 My cmdline was `emerge -vaDt @system'
16
17 Showed 44 pkgs only 2 were updates and 42 were reinstalls.
18
19 Already it seemed like something might be off to have that many
20 reinstalls with no --newuse or --changed-use involved.
21
22 I let it run thinking it might have to do with a small list of
23 packages causing reinstalls.
24
25 Once that finished I ran `emerge -vaDt @world'
26
27 It showed 76 packages 2 updates 1 N in new slot and 73 reinstalls.
28
29 Further, very many of the reinstalls were packages that had just been
30 reinstalled during @system Same versions, same use flags.
31
32 At a glance I could see that nearly all or all of the packages rebuilt
33 during During the @system run were to be done over again under a @world
34 run,
35
36 Surely there can be no reason for this absent some other factor like
37 new or changed use flags.
38
39 So what causes this Groundhog day syndrome and how does one break out
40 of it?