From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Its ground hog day... how to escape the syndrome?
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2017 06:40:25
1 On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 11:33:56PM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote
2 > Setup: VBox vm running gentoo(amd64) guest on a win-10 (64bit) host
3 > Hardware: HP xw8600 - 2x Xeon CPU X5450 @ 3.00GHz - 32 GB ram
4 >
5 > I've seen a few other mentions of the phenomena I'm about to describe.
6 > It is not clear to me why something like this would happen. Or what is
7 > to be done to prevent it.
8 >
9 > After going thru install and bulding of X based lxde desktop gentoo
10 > OS, I'm at the stage where I would do another emerge world followed by
11 > --depclean or something similar.
12 >
13 > Decided to take the @world in the two available bites; @system then
14 > @world
15 >
16 > My cmdline was `emerge -vaDt @system'
17 >
18 > Showed 44 pkgs only 2 were updates and 42 were reinstalls.
19
20 If you want to rebuild everything, including dependancies, try
21
22 emerge -e @world
23
24 You'll find out how many packages you have installed and how fast your
25 system is. <G>
28 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
29 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications