From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to stop mouse motion
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:58:45
1 On Samstag 15 November 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 15 November 2008 22:55:06 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
3 > > Hi. I have a crappy mouse made in China. One of its problems is that
4 > > the mouse pointer sometimes moves even while the mouse is not moving.
5 > > Usually this manifests by the pointer "shaking", moving back and
6 > > forward one or two pixels very fast (it looks like some 5 times per
7 > > second). The worst problem caused by this is that the monitor can
8 > > wake up at seemingly random times.
9 > >
10 > > One solution would be to switch off the monitor every time I won't use
11 > > it for a few minutes, but (AFAIK) this would waste energy and reduce
12 > > lifetime. I want the DPMS modes of standby, suspend, off.
13 > >
14 > > Another solution would be to buy another mouse
15 >
16 > Yes, this is the best and only thing you could do
17 >
18 > > , but this would cost
19 > > money
20 >
21 > So? mouses are cheap. I can buy mouses for the price of a packet of smokes
22 > or two beers...
23 >
24 > > and would not teach me the solution (this problem can manifest
25 > > again in the future, with this or another computer).
26 >
27 > So how you gonna fix this? You have a broken mouse, it sends broken signals
28 > to the machine and the machine reponds brokenly. Here's the only lesson you
29 > should learn (becuase this can't be fixed):
30 >
31 > This mouse is broken. It doesn't do what mouses should do. Mouse, meet
32 > dustbin.
33
34 not dustbin! Its switches might be usefull to repair another mouse. But yeah
35 - a new mouse is the best solution.