From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to stop mouse motion
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:26:09
1 On Saturday 15 November 2008 22:55:06 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 > Hi. I have a crappy mouse made in China. One of its problems is that
3 > the mouse pointer sometimes moves even while the mouse is not moving.
4 > Usually this manifests by the pointer "shaking", moving back and
5 > forward one or two pixels very fast (it looks like some 5 times per
6 > second). The worst problem caused by this is that the monitor can
7 > wake up at seemingly random times.
8 >
9 > One solution would be to switch off the monitor every time I won't use
10 > it for a few minutes, but (AFAIK) this would waste energy and reduce
11 > lifetime. I want the DPMS modes of standby, suspend, off.
12 >
13 > Another solution would be to buy another mouse
14
15 Yes, this is the best and only thing you could do
16
17 > , but this would cost
18 > money
19
20 So? mouses are cheap. I can buy mouses for the price of a packet of smokes or
21 two beers...
22
23 > and would not teach me the solution (this problem can manifest
24 > again in the future, with this or another computer).
25
26 So how you gonna fix this? You have a broken mouse, it sends broken signals to
27 the machine and the machine reponds brokenly. Here's the only lesson you
28 should learn (becuase this can't be fixed):
29
30 This mouse is broken. It doesn't do what mouses should do. Mouse, meet
31 dustbin.
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com