From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Index to /usr/share/doc/...html... a reinvented wheel?
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 01:53:41
1 On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 03:19:14PM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote
2 > I emerge with the doc USE flag and generally have a bunch of stuff in
3 > /usr/share/doc. Most of the time it's the HTML stuff I want to read, but
4 > it's a annoyingly laborious to wade through unindexed directgories and get a
5 > browser pointing to the right thing. So I wrote a little Perl script to
6 > create a top-level "index.html", organized by package and with a bit of
7 > rudimentary pruning. I bookmarked it in Firefox, and can get to things a
8 > lot faster now. I like the result, and will continue to tweak it here and
9 > there.
10 >
11 > Did I just reinvent a wheel? If not, is there any point it trying to make
12 > this part of gentoo? If so, how would one do that?
13 >
14 > Current script attached.
15
16 Here's mine. It uses strictly bash; no perl at all. The setup...
17 - following files sit in the ~/.docpointer/ directory
18 - docpointer (executable script)
19 - docpointer.css
20 - header
21 - footer
22
23 - from a console execute...
24 ~/.docpointer/docpointer n
25 where "n" is an integer specifying the number of columns across you
26 want in the output. You *MUST* specify a number. I use between 1
27 and 3, depending on my mood. It only takes a couple of seconds on
28 an old 450 mhz PIII
29
30 - I point browser to file:///home/waltdnes/.docpointer/docpointer.html
31 and get a list of html docs. The pathname will obviously be
32 different om your system
33
34 The files are attached...
37 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
38 Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?
39 A. I think it would be a good idea.

docpointer text/plain
docpointer.css text/css
header text/plain