From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A quick test of su [SOLVED]
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:24:18
1 On 01/21/2010 08:09 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:06:34 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I'm no expert on PAM, but I've seen it used on every linux
5 >>> distribution that I've tried over the years. In the case I just
6 >>> described, I used it so I can identify myself with my ssh key, which
7 >>> is much more secure than a password. So, in general, pam is used to
8 >>> set security policy for how users can log in, change their passwords,
9 >>> etc. I'm not sure how I would have added ssh key authentication
10 >>> without pam. It's a good question.
11 >>
12 >> Well, all of this is still working here without PAM, including keys
13 >> (I've set that option in the config file of the ssh deamon, not PAM.)
14 >
15 > I read this that walt is using SSH keys ( on a USB stick?) for local
16 > login, which would be best done with PAM. SSH login with keys is handled
17 > by SSH itself.
18 >
19 > Can you confirm walt?
20
21 I'm using it to ssh between the machines on my local network, where I
22 have the same ssh key on each machine. I don't have any need to login
23 elsewhere by carrying the key on a USB stick -- I wish the machines at
24 work would let me do that, but they don't.