From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A quick test of su [SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:09:56
1 On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:06:34 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > > I'm no expert on PAM, but I've seen it used on every linux
4 > > distribution that I've tried over the years. In the case I just
5 > > described, I used it so I can identify myself with my ssh key, which
6 > > is much more secure than a password. So, in general, pam is used to
7 > > set security policy for how users can log in, change their passwords,
8 > > etc. I'm not sure how I would have added ssh key authentication
9 > > without pam. It's a good question.
10 >
11 > Well, all of this is still working here without PAM, including keys
12 > (I've set that option in the config file of the ssh deamon, not PAM.)
13
14 I read this that walt is using SSH keys ( on a USB stick?) for local
15 login, which would be best done with PAM. SSH login with keys is handled
16 by SSH itself.
17
18 Can you confirm walt?
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Therapy is expensive, popping bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.