From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 02:00:24
1 On 01/07/2015 02:03 AM, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > First question:
5 >
6 > I have this in my /etc/fstab and I'm not certain it
7 > is necessary or needs to be removed to facility cleanly
8 > mounting /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs (ram):
9 >
10 > current fstab:
11 >
12 > shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
13 >
14 > [1]. Perhaps there is a better (updated wiki) reference I missed)?
15 >
16 > proposed fstab entry:
17 >
18 > tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs size=2G 0 0
22 I was thinking along the same lines and came across this somewhere in
23 the email list/forums/blogs:
24
25 #
26 # RAM disk for emerges
27 #
28 tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs
29 uid=portage,gid=portage,mode=0775,size=8192M,noatime 0 0
32 The above is all ONE line. This has worked fine for me. I have a machine
33 with 16GB so I decided to go half/half on the RAM disk hence the 8GB
34 size and tune if need be. I've seen no problems hence have left it at that.
35
36 > Second question:
37
38 No idea :) Would some sort of cp/rsync running under a short interval
39 cron job do what you want. As I said, I really have no idea here.
42 Andrew