From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user][SOLVED] dependancy xorg-server
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 19:53:52
1 On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 09:10:46 -0700, Joseph wrote:
2
3 > >Portage is excessively verbose in it's output. With -v it dumps all
4 > >sorts of info to the console and it's incredibly hard to read.
5 > >
6 > >It especially likes to print the full reasoning why it doesn't upgrade
7 > >some package to latest due to a dependency requirement, and it's this
8 > >that usually hides actual real problems in amongst all the noise.
9 > >
10 > >The level of verbosity from portage over the past year really should
11 > >only be shown with -vvv
12
13 > Thank for the hint, never thought about it. I'll try next time "emerge
14 > -uDNavvvq world
15
16 Alan was saying that portage is already very verbose, you are better off
17 running with no -v options. That way you only see true errors and serious
18 warnings and not all the irrelevant stuff that just gets in the way.
19
20 > Yes, it was very hard to read and duped information
21 > into the screen that wasn't relevant.
22
23 Exactly, cut down on the irrelevant information by not using -v.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Sisko:"I won't be condescending to you this episode, Dr. Bashir."