From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user][SOLVED] dependancy xorg-server
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 21:06:37
1 On 02/07/15 19:53, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 09:10:46 -0700, Joseph wrote:
3 >
4 >> >Portage is excessively verbose in it's output. With -v it dumps all
5 >> >sorts of info to the console and it's incredibly hard to read.
6 >> >
7 >> >It especially likes to print the full reasoning why it doesn't upgrade
8 >> >some package to latest due to a dependency requirement, and it's this
9 >> >that usually hides actual real problems in amongst all the noise.
10 >> >
11 >> >The level of verbosity from portage over the past year really should
12 >> >only be shown with -vvv
13 >
14 >> Thank for the hint, never thought about it. I'll try next time "emerge
15 >> -uDNavvvq world
16 >
17 >Alan was saying that portage is already very verbose, you are better off
18 >running with no -v options. That way you only see true errors and serious
19 >warnings and not all the irrelevant stuff that just gets in the way.
20 >
21 >> Yes, it was very hard to read and duped information
22 >> into the screen that wasn't relevant.
23 >
24 >Exactly, cut down on the irrelevant information by not using -v.
25 >
26 >--
27 >Neil Bothwick
28 >
29 >Sisko:"I won't be condescending to you this episode, Dr. Bashir."
30
31 Got it.
32 I'll try it next time. When I upgrade and have to scroll via 200+ messages of emerge packages it is easy to not to notice about some critical information; in my
33 case "grub" that was calling to run "grub-install" or the system will not boot.
34 I wish the packages without any changes or warning wouldn't even show up after upgrade.
37 Joseph