From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kopete and msn contacts
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:03:22
1 On Thursday 13 March 2008, Paul Sobey wrote:
2 > b.n. wrote:
3 > > I switched from aMSN to Kopete to have a decent msn client that also
4 > > works with gtalk.
5 > >
6 > > Unfortunately I found that kopete has some kind of bug with MSN
7 > > contacts. It's apparently impossible to *add* a new contact (if I try,
8 > > it says nothing just like it's working, but the contact is not added
9 > > -not in kopete, and not in other clients), and most importantly it does
10 > > not *delete* contacts. Worst of it all, if I delete contacts in another
11 > > client, say, aMSN, next time I launch Kopete:
12 > > - the contact reappear in the Kopete list
13 > > - if I then close Kopete and open aMSN, the contact I deleted *are
14 > > indeed added again* to my MSN account!
15 > >
16 > > I would prefer to avoid Gaim/Pidgin if possible.
17 >
18 > Kopete has always done this for me, it's incredibly annoying. If you
19 > find a solution please post back here! Since you stipulated GTalk, my
20 > only recommendation other than Kopete would be Pidgin. If you want an
21 > MSN-only client at some point you might try Mercury Messenger (Java
22 > based, very full support, including webcam), or the excellent KMess
23 > (relatively young, no webcam or other tricks but light, fast and nicely
24 > integrated into KDE). I've recently discovered the latter and it's now
25 > my MSN program of choice.
26 >
27 > Cheers,
28 > Paul
29
30 I don't really have a solution, just a kludge. If you feel inclined to
31 delete/add contacts you may wish to dive into
32 ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/kopete/contactlist.xml
33
34 An xml or text editor should make it easy to edit the contents.
35
36 If no bug has been raised for this, you may want to oblige?
37 --
38 Regards,
39 Mick