From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] E17 installation
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 19:36:12
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 19:34 on Saturday 27 November 2010, sean did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > I thought Gentoo was supposed to be bleeding edge when it came to all
5 > things Linux.
6 >
7 > Why would something like E17, (or any package,) still need to be applied
8 > through an overlay after all this time instead of just being in portage?
9
10 Becuase raster has not released anything yet.
11
12 It took 9 years to release eet, now at version 1.4
13 It's 10 years and now finally the efl libs are nearing release, currently at
14 -beta2. The next beta (3) is scheduled for release in December.
15
16 If upstream has never released anything, how can it go into portage?
19 > I thought building from scratch was to be the way to put a package
20 > together based on what you want, and what is available on your sytem.
21 > I understand that some basic needs are required to build a package, but
22 > again, I figured working from source would make such things so much more
23 > flexible.
24
25 It's not build from scratch.
26
27 It's check out from svn, hope and pray that today's commits didn't break the
28 works, and see what you get today.
29
30 That's not release. heck, you can't even write ebuilds for that and give the
31 users some kind of reassurance about consistency.
32
33 That's why it's all still in overlays.
37 > I am not trying to start any type of nasty discussion, it is just a
38 > nagging question I have wondered about.
39 >
40 > Thanks
41 > Sean
44 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com