From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] modest mail server for home network
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 19:08:23
1 I want to set up a very modest home mail server that will collect emails from
2 other pop3 servers and make them available to 2 or 3 users using 1 or more
3 different clients on 2 or 3 computers. I have become very confused by the
4 various howtos. Even the gentoo ones, which on other subjects are usually
5 very good, in this case assume an awful lot of arcane knowledge and also say
6 preposterous things, such as that xyz server is easy to set up when it quite
7 plainly isn't.
8
9 I have spent way to much time trying to get courier running only to find that
10 (a) it doesn't work and (b) it doesn't seem to be able to fetch mail from an
11 external server. I then installed fetchmail, but can't find any howtos on
12 installing it as a service, or any clear explanation of how it plays
13 alongside courier or any other imap server.
14
15 The absolute #1 consideration is that the system must be easy to set up and
16 easy to move to another machine when the time comes.
17
18 smtp is not important at the moment because the isp smtp service usually
19 works.
20
21 Any advice very much appreciated.
22
23 Robert
24 --
25 Robert Persson
26
27 Conspiracy Bears:
28 Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list