From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating a system
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:05:15
1 On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 16:45:23 -0400
2 Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > So I was an idiot when I set up my system and didn't use LVM. Now
5 > that I'm out of disk space on one of my drives and kicking myself, I
6 > want to do it without doing a reinstall. If I use tar -cvjpf
7 > oldSystemThatShouldStillWorkWhenUnTarred.tar.bz2 /, then setup LVM,
8 > then tar all that junk back to the new system via tar -xvpf
9 > oldSystemThatShouldStillWorkWhenUnTarred.tar.bz2 with / as my working
10 > directory, should that do the trick (with, of course, another go at
11 > grub-install)? Is the -p flag to tar enough to store ALL the
12 > necessary file system information? I just want to make sure I'm not
13 > forgetting anything...
14 >
15 > P.S. And I'll have to build LVM support into the kernel too...
16 >
17 > R
18
19 You could always just move a few very large or very critical pieces of
20 the filesystem (like /home) over to a new drive. Then you'd have lots
21 of extra space and you'd have a backup disk to use in case your primary
22 went down. You could also back up the primary stuff on an unmounted
23 backup partition on the second drive, effectively providing an
24 almost-hot backup.
25
26 BTW, I highly recommend not compressing the archive
27 >...tar.bz2
28 because it will take a really long time. Just tar it and leave it at
29 that. It might be a few hundred megs bigger, but it'll get done before
30 december.
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list