From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Migrating a system
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:00:46
1 So I was an idiot when I set up my system and didn't use LVM. Now that
2 I'm out of disk space on one of my drives and kicking myself, I want to
3 do it without doing a reinstall. If I use tar -cvjpf
4 oldSystemThatShouldStillWorkWhenUnTarred.tar.bz2 /, then setup LVM, then
5 tar all that junk back to the new system via tar -xvpf
6 oldSystemThatShouldStillWorkWhenUnTarred.tar.bz2 with / as my working
7 directory, should that do the trick (with, of course, another go at
8 grub-install)? Is the -p flag to tar enough to store ALL the necessary
9 file system information? I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting
10 anything...
11
12 P.S. And I'll have to build LVM support into the kernel too...
13
14 R
15 --
16 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list