From: "Björn Ottervik" <bjorn.ottervik@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating a system
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 23:22:04
1 On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 16:45 -0400, Randy Barlow wrote:
2 > So I was an idiot when I set up my system and didn't use LVM. Now that
3 > I'm out of disk space on one of my drives and kicking myself, I want to
4 > do it without doing a reinstall. If I use tar -cvjpf
5 > oldSystemThatShouldStillWorkWhenUnTarred.tar.bz2 /, then setup LVM, then
6 > tar all that junk back to the new system via tar -xvpf
7 > oldSystemThatShouldStillWorkWhenUnTarred.tar.bz2 with / as my working
8 > directory, should that do the trick (with, of course, another go at
9 > grub-install)? Is the -p flag to tar enough to store ALL the necessary
10 > file system information? I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting
11 > anything...
12 >
13 > P.S. And I'll have to build LVM support into the kernel too...
14 >
15 > R
16
17 The -a option might be a good choice, and i like the --one-file-system
18 as well, for backup purpouses. Its very convenient to be able to restore
19 partitions separatly, without having to remember whats mounted where and
20 'what parts of this and that did I archive'.
21 rsync is nice too. And faster... Just remember not to rsync to a non
22 UNIX FS, as that would cause some troubles with permissions and other
23 things.
24
25 Good luck. :)
26