From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Printer
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 15:45:46
1 On 2018-03-01, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 15:10:58 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> I despise all inkjets, but maybe that's just me.
5 >
6 > It's not.
7 >
8 >> I'd pick mono laser over any inkjet.
9 >
10 > That depends on your printing needs. I've now got an HP colour laser AIO
11 > device. It was expensive but it does everything I need with minimal fuss.
12
13 Here's my HP testimonial: I've had an HP LaserJet 1320 printer (mono)
14 for almost 15 years. It's brilliant: 1200DPI, Postscript, Duplexing.
15 It still works like it did when it was new.
16
17 I've had to by _one_ toner cartridge, it's still got many miles left
18 on it.
19
20 I don't print much, and the one Canon ink-jet printer I had before the
21 HP LaserJet had an operating cost of about $10/page. Yes, dollars.
22 Once every couple months, I'd need to print a few pages -- and I'd
23 have to by yet another new cartridge and thow out the 99% full one
24 that had stopped working.
28 > The only point I'd make about HP AIO devices is that while the hplip
29 > package is free and open source, to use it with a scanner it downloads a
30 > non-free binary blob. Whether this matters depends on whether you are a
31 > pragmatist or zealot ;-)
32
33 If I cared about scanning, I'd be very tempted to spend enough money
34 to get a network-connected printer that just e-mails me a PDF document
35 or writes it to a network file server.
38 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! We just joined the
39 at civil hair patrol!
40 gmail.com