From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Printer
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 15:29:51
1 On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 15:10:58 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > > For my birthday (!) my children want to offer me a multifunction
4 > > printer, copier.
5 > >
6 > > I ask you for an idea which one they could buy.
7 >
8 > I despise all inkjets, but maybe that's just me.
9
10 It's not.
11
12 > I'd pick mono laser over any inkjet.
13
14 That depends on your printing needs. I've now got an HP colour laser AIO
15 device. It was expensive but it does everything I need with minimal fuss.
16
17 The only point I'd make about HP AIO devices is that while the hplip
18 package is free and open source, to use it with a scanner it downloads a
19 non-free binary blob. Whether this matters depends on whether you are a
20 pragmatist or zealot ;-)
21
22 > Many years ago, I worked with a Brother mono laser multifunction
23 > printer and the "print" part worked fine with Linux. I don't think I
24 > ever tried to set it up the scanning.
25
26 I had a similar device and it was a bitch to set up.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 Stupid user error. Terminate user (Y/n) ?