From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any consequences to package.mask'ing newer kernels?
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 05:43:11
1 On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 04:11:42PM +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote
2
3 > Which risk? Which mess? There is not a risk, if you use oldconfig.
4
5 With oldconfig, 99% of the updates seem to consist of added support
6 for exotic raid controllers or network cards. Since my system has been
7 running OK for the past couple of years without the new features, I
8 obviously don't need them. I end up hitting "N" all the time.
9
10 I got bitten in the latest stable kernel (2.6.19-r5). It moved SATA
11 support out of SCSI, and into a separate section altogether. I plowed
12 through "make oldconfig", hitting "N" for every option. Because I have
13 a SATA drive, the result was kernel panic when I rebooted into the new
14 kernel.
17 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
18 Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?
19 A. I think it would be a good idea.
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list