From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any consequences to package.mask'ing newer kernels?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 14:17:12
1 On Samstag, 31. März 2007, b.n. wrote:
2 > Hemmann, Volker Armin ha scritto:
3 > > besides critical bug fixes, security fixes and driver updates?
4 > >
5 > > IMHO masking never kernels is a really bad idea.
6 >
7 > Why?
8
9 because of:
10
11 - filesystem bugs (2.6.17 and XFS for example)
12
13 - security problems (local and remote holes).
14
15 In almost every kernel release a security problem is found, that is fixed in a
16 stable release.
17
18 > I upgrade my kernel once in a blue moon -that is, when I need to
19 > because of new features I need, because of incompatibility with current
20 > system (i.e. upgrade to udev) or just because I need to recompile to
21 > enable/disable something and, since I'm recompiling anyway, I also
22 > upgrade.(note that I don't use genkernel)
23
24 and between that blue moons, your box is wide open to attacks.
27 > Otherwise, I personally don't bother. If my kernel currently serves me
28 > well and there is nothing new I really need, why having to recompile,
29 > with the risk to make a mess?
30
31 Which risk? Which mess? There is not a risk, if you use oldconfig. But there
32 is a big risk in security holes.
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list