From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.3.1 query
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 01:15:01
1 Am Donnerstag, 17. September 2009 schrieb Philip Webb:
2
3 > >> Okular 4.3.1 -- usable, but no noticeable improvement on Kpdf 3.5.10 .
4 > >
5 > > that is a joke, right?
6 >
7 > No, it's very serious: KDE 4 is jazzed up visually & dumbed down in
8 > options.
9
10 I concur. The only (and still vividly living) hope is that it still evolves.
11 Perhaps, 4.5 will be as good as 3.5 was back at its introduction. And I
12 intend to keep 3.5 running for as long as possible.
13
14 > Okular is as described when compared with Kpdf 3 .
15
16 The only thing I really don’t like about Okular is its icon bar on the left.
17 Even though the icons can be shrinked and the text hidden, that bar is still
18 a waste of space. On the bright side, Okular’s rendering is better than
19 KPDF’s (for instance antialiasing), and it supports other document types like
20 CDR.
21
22 > > wrong. bookmark editor: 'File' 'import', 'import kde 3 bookmarks'.
23 >
24 > What is "bookmark editor" ?
25
26 The one you get when you open Konqueror’s bookmarks menu and select Edit (or
27 Manage, whatever it’s called in the English localisation) bookmarks.
28
29 > it's not a dependency of Konqueror 4 .
30
31 frank@eisen $ equery d keditbookmarks
32 [ Searching for packages depending on keditbookmarks... ]
33 kde-base/kdebase-meta-4.3.1 (>=kde-base/keditbookmarks-4.3.1:4.3[kdeprefix=])
34
35 > It's utter madness, but with free software there are alternatives,
36 > which I have started to adopt (Fluxbox, Thunar, Terminal).
37
38 Unfortunately, Thunar is as simple as Nautilus (or even more basic). They
39 don’t nearly come close to Konqueror 3. Nothing else does (of course apart
40 from Commander-style file managers like Krusader). And I don’t mean
41 functionality only, but also Qt’s efficient use of screen space, compared to
42 GTK.
43 --
44 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
45 Kids in the back seat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseat cause kids.