From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 12:12:22
1 On 2013-08-10 2:57 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 05/08/13 23:18, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 10:24:27 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>>> But there's not a lot of point as eudev isn't that different to udev
5 >>>> now, AFAICT, and a recent update forced me to switch back to udev
6 >>>> because eudev hadn't been updated (on ~amd64).
7 >>>
8 >>> Can you elaborate on what this update was that forced you to go back to
9 >>> regular udev?
10 >>
11 >> I can't remember what it was now, and it may have been avoidable by
12 >> making virtual/udev-206 (or whichever version it was that needed a higher
13 >> udev version than eudev could provide). It's moot now as eudev has been
14 >> updated and portage is happy again, but it would be a concern if this
15 >> happened regularly.
16 >
17 > I expect it to happen around every new udev release that causes slight
18 > incompability; the default of the virtual/udev, sys-fs/udev, doesn't
19 > have to wait for the alternative providers.
20
21 And thanks for the heads up Samuli.
22
23 I always emerge -pvuDN world and look very carefully at the results, and
24 I also wait at least 2 or 3 days before installing any system critical
25 updates (has saved me headaches more than once).
26
27 Ok, here goes... ;)