From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 07:00:25
1 On 05/08/13 23:18, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 10:24:27 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >
4 >>> But there's not a lot of point as eudev isn't that different to udev
5 >>> now, AFAICT, and a recent update forced me to switch back to udev
6 >>> because eudev hadn't been updated (on ~amd64).
7 >>
8 >> Can you elaborate on what this update was that forced you to go back to
9 >> regular udev?
10 >
11 > I can't remember what it was now, and it may have been avoidable by
12 > making virtual/udev-206 (or whichever version it was that needed a higher
13 > udev version than eudev could provide). It's moot now as eudev has been
14 > updated and portage is happy again, but it would be a concern if this
15 > happened regularly.
16
17 I expect it to happen around every new udev release that causes slight
18 incompability; the default of the virtual/udev, sys-fs/udev, doesn't
19 have to wait for the alternative providers.
20
21 - Samuli