From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 05:37:07
1 On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 09:57:52AM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote
2
3 > I expect it to happen around every new udev release that causes slight
4 > incompability; the default of the virtual/udev, sys-fs/udev, doesn't
5 > have to wait for the alternative providers.
6
7 The elegant solution is outlined in my post...
8 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/275977#275977
9
10 I.e. *UNTIL SUCH TIME AS EUDEV HITS STABLE* (on whatever arch you're
11 using), add the entry
12
13 <sys-fs/eudev-9999 ~amd64
14
15 to package.keywords (replace amd64 with your arch if necessary).
16 Basically, if you keyword a specific version, and the ebuild gets
17 removed by "emerge --sync", there are no eudev ebuilds to satisfy
18 virtual/udev. So portage falls back to udev. My solution isn't
19 hard-coded to any one version, and is immune to to version bumps and
20 removals.
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
24 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications